Dr. NNAMDI EUGENE NWAUWA
Dr. NNAMDI EUGENE NWAUWA (Father of Emergency medicine and Emergency Response trainings in Nigeria)
He started his career as a medical doctor but was distinguished amongst others and sort after by some top Nigerian political leaders to occupy high political offices due to his commitment, hardworking capability and trustworthiness in service to humanity.
Dr. N. E. Nwauwa was a man who loved God dearly and never supported any form of corruption which triggered his zeal to pioneer the “Shun ill Gotten Wealth” crusade world wide. He also had to resign from his political appointments and offices and decided to take up his mandate as a medical doctor after he realized the poor nature of the Nigerian Emergency healthcare delivery system.
His passion and hardwork for quality Emergency healthcare delivery system attracted some Americans to him in the quest for a trustworthy hardworking personality to work with in assisting the development of the healthcare Emergency delivery system in Nigerian.
Dr. N. E. Nwauwa left behind his lovely Wife and Six Children, All Healthcare providers. His unending passionate quest to quality healthcare delivery system legacy in Nigeria drove him to the transference of his passion to his wife and his six children that are now recognized Healthcare Providers at different capacities in the Nigerian Healthcare Systems (Doctors, EMT paramedics and nurse).
Dr. N. E. Nwauwa was an icon and a rare gem in the Nigerian medical field. He gained prestigious awards and was referred to as the father of Emergency Medicine and Emergency Response trainings In Nigeria.
Just to mention but a few, he gained the following achievements and prestigious awards of recognition;
He was the first to introduce the American Heart Association Emergency Cardiovascular Care Training Program(BLS, ACLS, PALS etc) into Nigeria and recognized as the second International Training Centre in Africa after South Africa.
He Pioneered the Society of Emergency Medicine Practitioners of Nigeria (SEMPON) as Chairman.
He imported the American College of Surgeons Advanced Trauma Life Support Course into Nigeria as the first in West Africa and second in Africa. He also sponsored it’s promulgation working with the Nigeria Orthopedic Association (NOA), Federal Ministry of Health (FMOH), Nigerian Medical Association (NMA) and Medical and Dental Council of Nigeria (MDCN).
He was a member of many Emergency Medicine professional bodies –
- American Academy of Emergency medicine
- National Association of EMS physicians (USA)
- National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT) USA.
- International Assoyof Emergency Managers(IAEM)
- British Association Immediate care(Basic)
- Emergency Physicians International (EPI)
- European Resuscitation council
- African Federation of Emergency Medicine (AFEM)
- National Association of EMS educators (USA)
- Assembly member, International Federation of Emergency Medicine (IFEM)
- International Society for Quality in Healthcare (FISQUA)
- Member of the International Editorial board for journal of Emergency Medical Services (JEMS) USA.
- Fellow of Harvard Medical School (Leadership and International Emergency Medicine).
- First African Recipient of the prestigious world best 10 EMS innovators for 2015 at EMS today in Baltimore USA.
- First Nigerian recipient of the American Heart Association award for pioneering Emergency Cardiovascular Care programs in Nigeria.